- In 2023, pressure-sensitive labels hold the greatest market share by volume, accounting for nearly 45% of the market.
- Alcoholic drinks are the largest end use for labels, by volume, and hold nearly 30% of market share in 2023.
- Flexographic printing is the largest process for label printing in 2023, accounting for nearly 40% of the market by volume.
This report provides comprehensive analysis and data modelling of the global label and release marketplace and of important technological developments in labels and release liners. It provides authoritative historical data for the period 2018–23, with expert projections and forecasts to 2028. Market forecasts are presented by label and release liner type, geographic market, print process and end-use sector. In addition, the report includes an assessment of the current market and future prospects for label release liners, providing the definitive guide for business planning.
Our exclusive content
What will you discover?
- Development and adoption of liner-less release label stock constructions will continue and modestly accelerate over the forecast period, as both consumers and regional regulatory bodies (in the EU zone in particular) increasingly demand more sustainable packaging options
- Resumption of trends toward the adoption of more functional labels – interactive and ‘smart’ labels, for instance – and toward refinement and adoption of integrated digital printing systems for labels.
The Smithers methodology
- This report focuses upon label printing consumables, the paper, film and ink applied to primary, secondary and tertiary packaging articles, and the emerging electronics and systems to enhance and extend their functionality
- Historical data, suitably segmented, for global labels and release liner markets, along with estimates of current market size and growth forecasts through 2028
- Key market drivers, consumer trends and important technical developments to 2028.
This report is based on extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research consisted of targeted interviews with material suppliers, converters and experts drawn from key markets. This was supported by secondary research in the form of extensive literature analysis of published data, official government statistics, domestic and international trade organisation data, company websites, industry reports, trade press articles, presentations, and attendance at trade events.
Who should buy the report?
About the author
- Manufacturers of label printing equipment
- Suppliers of inks and coatings
- Suppliers of label stocks
- Industry consultants, investors, and analysts
Ilkka Ylipoti is a consultant with extensive experience in the pressure sensitive labelstock and label printing industry. He worked for over 30 years for UPM Raflatac in global management positions and eight years as CEO of Auraprint Oy, Finland’s largest label printer.