Many rubber or plastic materials make repeated contact with various surfaces in their service environment, so it’s crucial to assess wear and abrasion characteristics in the product development stage. Abrasion testing can be used to measure and predict overall durability of the material as it may perform in real world applications.
The experts at our rubber testing lab use a variety of abrasive testing techniques and instruments to test both vulcanized test plaques and actual products:
Rotary Drum Abrasion (DIN Abrasion)
This test method measures the volume loss due to the abrasive action of rubbing a test piece over a specified grade of abrasive sheet. The result can be reported as a relative volume loss or an abrasion resistance index.
This test method is used to determine the resistance to abrasive wear of plastics or rubber under the action of abrasive wheels. We can offer a wide range of abrasive wheels, speeds and test loadings.
This test method is used to determine resistance of rubber by applying a downward force. This method is most commonly used for evaluating abrasion resistance in footwear, such as rubber soles and heels.
In this test method, rubber or plastic samples are pressed against two metal blades and rotated at a specified speed to help determine resistance to abrasion.
- ASTM D1630 – Standard Test Method for Rubber Property—Abrasion Resistance (Footwear Abrader)
- ASTM D2228 – Standard Test Method for Rubber Property—Relative Abrasion Resistance by Pico Abrader Method
- ASTM D3389 – Standard Test Method for Coated Fabrics Abrasion Resistance (Rotary Platform Abrader)
- ASTM D4157 – Standard Test Method for Abrasion Resistance of Textile Fabrics (Oscillatory Cylinder Method)
- ASTM D5963 – Standard Test Method for Rubber Property—Abrasion Resistance (Rotary Drum Abrader)
- BS EN ISO 5470 – Rubber- or plastics-coated fabrics - Determination of abrasion resistance - Part 2: Martindale abrader
- BS EN ISO 5470-1 Rubber- or plastics-coated fabrics. Determination of abrasion resistance - Taber abrader
- BS ISO 4649 – Rubber, vulcanized, or thermoplastic - Determination of abrasion resistance using a rotating cylindrical drum device
- BS ISO 9352 Plastics - Determination of resistance to wear by abrasive wheels
About the Labs
Our laboratories offer a wide range of abrasive wheels, speeds, and test loadings. Our experts have years of experience conducting standardized tests and designing custom protocols to meet your needs.
We have extensive sample preparation facilities, including on-site moulding, thickness reduction capabilities, and a CNC machine, which gives us the flexibility to test a wide variety of materials and product forms.