- The folding carton market is showing signs of recovery from the impact of the pandemic, with some 2.5% growth in 2021 and further growth in excess of 5% in 2022
- Predicted medium-term growth in the market indicates global consumption of almost 70 million tonnes by 2028, with a value approaching $200 billion at constant 2022 prices.
Sustainability, recycling and waste reduction are the watchwords in the packaging industry following the effects of Covid-19. Significant R&D has been undertaken in recent years, resulting in a plethora of new pack designs and formats aimed at addressing these three issues.
The end result of these developments will be 10 million tonnes of additional material entering the cartonboard market in order to satisfy the forecast growth in demand for folding carton and microflute packaging.
Our exclusive content
What will you discover?
- The key market factors driving growth in the folding carton segment and how these will change over the next five years
- Dedicated analysis of sustainability in folding carton grades
- Cartonboard consumption and growth forecasts, breaking down value and volume by material type, end-use product and region for the period 2023–28.
The Smithers methodology
- Wherever possible, brand owners are eager to remove plastic from their packaging portfolios and substitute this material with what consumers perceive as more sustainable variants.
- Much innovation is still evident in sectors such as pharmaceuticals and high-end luxury goods to curb the proliferation of counterfeit products.
- The folding carton market is expected to increase in value by over $15 billion through to 2028 at constant 2022 prices.
This report is based on extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research consisted of targeted interviews with material suppliers, converters and experts drawn from key markets. This was supported by secondary research in the form of extensive literature analysis of published data, official government statistics, domestic and international trade organisation data, company websites, industry reports, trade press articles, presentations, and attendance at trade events.
Who should buy this report?
About the author
- Raw material suppliers
- Folding carton manufacturers
- Packaging converters
- Brand owners
Stephen Harrod spent 11 years building a market research company in South Africa, focused on the paper and packaging industry in that country, following which he spent six years in the paper industry with Mondi and JAC Labels before relocating to the UK. He has been authoring reports for Smithers since 2006, with a focus on global paper and packaging markets.