Project 3K is a general simulation test for fast moving packaged consumer products shipped through the multiple-retail supply chain environment in Europe. Project 3K is appropriate for the range of packages commonly merchandised through large retailer stores and large retail chain convenience stores, and where retailer operations include shipment of store-specific mixed loads in roll cages or as mixed loads. This retail environment is common within western European countries including (but not exclusive to) Sweden, Norway, Denmark, UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Spain and Italy, thus the scope of this project applies primarily to these countries. The scope also applies to similarly developed European states that are not listed but where multiple-retail environment infrastructure is developed. Note, large multiple-retail environment infrastructure involving shipment of mixed loads is growing in other European countries and so this project may also apply in these cases. Many European grocery packages are in shelf ready format; this method applies equally to shelf ready and non-shelf ready packages.
Requirements may include:
- Atmospheric conditioning
- Order picking simulation tests comprising Pyramid pick, Drag and carry tests
- Shock and impact
- Mixed load (Roll cage) tests comprising shock, impact and vibration tests
- Further shock and impact tests.
Types of packaging tested under this method
- Small shrink wrap tray i.e. collation of 6 or 12 deodorant aerosols, collation of 6 glass jars of a sauce product
- Large shrink wrap tray i.e. Tray of 24 cans of a beverage product, tray of 12 stand-up pouches of washing detergent powder
- Small corrugated cases or wraps i.e. shelf ready corrugated case for a snack product
- Large corrugated cases or wraps i.e. collation of 20 glass bottles of a beverage product, tray of 12 aseptic drinks cartons
- Shrink wrap without tray i.e. collation of 6 large bottles of mineral water or collation of rolls of an absorbent kitchen towel product
- Bags i.e. 10 kg or 20 kg bag of pellet pet food product, collation of 12 backs of flour/sugar product.
Please Note: The information outlined above is to be used as reference for ISTA 3K. Please refer to ISTA's website for full details.
For additional questions, please contact our experts: