Procedure 3B is a general simulation test for packaged-products shipped through a motor carrier (truck) delivery system, where different types of packaged-products, often from different shippers and intended for different ultimate destinations, are mixed in the same load. This type of shipment is called LTL (Less-Than-Truckload).
Packages will be subjected to the following tests:
- Atmospheric conditioning at controlled temperature and humidity levels based on detailed guidelines
- Tip test and tip-over test
- Shock testing based on drop, incline impact or horizontal impact methods. The height or impact velocity depends on the package weight.
- Vibration using the random method with and without a top load (Grms level of .53 and .46)
- Concentrated impacts
- Fork-lift handling.
Types of packaging tested under this method
- Standard 200 lb (91 kg) or less
- Standard over 200 lb (kg)
- Palletized or Skidded.
Please Note: The information outlined above is to be used as reference for ISTA 3B. Please refer to ISTA's website for full details.
For additional questions, please contact our experts: