Smithers has delivered reliable package and distribution testing for the medical, pharmaceutical, and food industries in North America for many years. In July of 2017, Smithers opened a new U.S.-based extractables and leachables lab in Akron, Ohio, expanding its offerings to a full suite of analytical and chemistry services for medical packaging, pharmaceutical products, and food packaging.
Mass spectrometry expert Paul Cummings was hired as the lab’s General Manager and has overseen the lab’s development. He has over 35 years of experience in chemistry and leadership in the pharmaceutical industry. Other expert hires include:
- Alison Schweda, Principal Scientist: Alison has over a decade of experience in chemistry and research management. She is primarily responsible for process implementation, execution and conduct of projects and studies, sample preparation, extraction, analysis, and result reporting.
- Dr. Daniel Norwood, Senior Independent Consultant: Dr. Norwood is a pioneer in the industry of extractables and leachables, with over 40 years of experience. His expertise will strengthen the ability of the team to help clients address and assess a range of chemical migration challenges with medical device and pharmaceutical packaging materials..
- Wes Gray, Senior Scientist and Project Lead: Wes has over 25 years of experience in chemistry and lab operations management in the pharmaceutical and pharmacological industries. He will work directly with clients, managing timeline requirements, regulatory compliance, and preparation of all project-related documentation and reports.
Analytical techniques and capabilities at the new lab include:
- Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS)
- Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS)
Learn more about the new lab