As an independent laboratory, we remain uniquely placed to offer detailed guidance to companies that are faced with the complexities of the Transport of Dangerous Goods Regulations.
Smithers Pira's Dangerous Goods and Hazardous Materials Package Testing Services
- A highly responsive testing service with turnaround to meet your needs
- Expert assistance in understanding complicated regulatory requirements
- For the UK and Europe, on site access to the independent UK certifying body (VCA-DGO)
- Certificate revalidation testing to meet the new requirements of the UK certifying body.
The team also provides:
- Additional distribution testing to allow for a detailed assessment of pack performance
- Random vibration, horizontal impact hazards and unit load testing not included in the UN tests
- An ongoing validation service to ensure continued use of approved specification
- Testing to cover the non-mandatory 'capability' performance requirements (limited quantities, diagnostic specimens and consumer commodities).
Packaging Types Tested
Smithers Pira's test facilities are accredited to undertake UN testing on a broad range of package types including:
- Bags - paper, plastic, textile (all codes - 5M1, 5M2, 5H4 etc)
- Boxes/Combination Packs - of all materials (all codes - 4D, 4G, 4GV, 4H2, 4A etc)
- Drums and Jerricans - steel, fibre, plastic, composite (all codes - 1A1, 1H2, 1G, 3H1, 3H2 etc)
- Intermediate Bulk Containers (IBC's) - metal, plastic, fibreboard, wood, flexible, composite (all codes - 31A, 31H2, 31HA1, 11G etc)
- Large Packagings - metal, plastic, fibreboard, wood, composite, flexible (all codes - 50A, 50H, 50G etc)
- Specialist Packs - for infectious substances and diagnostics (Division 6.2 substances, UN 3373).
Our knowledge covers testing requirements for the following classes:
- Class 1 - Explosives
- Class 3 - Flammable Liquids
- Class 4 - Flammable Solids
- Class 5 - Oxidizing Substances and Organic Peroxide
- Class 6 - Toxic and Infectious Substances
- Class 8 - Corrosive Substances
- Class 9 - Miscellaneous Dangerous Substances.
What our Dangerous Goods and Hazardous Materials Package Testing Clients Say
"I would like to express my thanks for the excellent work which Smithers Pira have carried out....The help and flexibility provided will enable the MoD to keep to our original delivery date within challenging timescales."
Ian Matthews (MoD, UK)
"The response was good and very professional, assistance and advice was always available when needed...the results were well presented and I found discussion (with the team) very helpful".
John Gawn (DuPont (UK) Ltd)
"We... were all impressed by the clarity that you (Smithers Pira) brought to a situation where ignorance had complicated arrangements with a Spanish customer. Our team has an excellent impression of Smithers Pira and will certainly come back to you when tests are needed."
Ian Palmer (Dolav UK Ltd)
"Initial contact and service was excellent. There were a lot of changes required and a lack of familiarity on our part with the process made much easier with the support provided."
Joe Sweetman (Atlantic Industries)
Need assistance? Request a quote or contact one of our experts