Ecommerce Food Packaging Testing
Smithers Pira helps companies who ship non-perishable food items direct to consumers meet the challenge of complex distribution routes. We test shipment packaging for suitability and robustness and help clients prevent damage to goods in transit, reducing food waste, protecting revenue and maintaining brand reputation.
Ecommerce is evolving and growing, bringing it with new opportunities and new challenges for retailers. But around a third of all food produced globally for human consumption is lost or wasted - around 1.3 billion tonnes per year, according to the Food and Agriculture Organisation. Around 88 million tonnes of food are wasted annually in the EU, with associated costs estimated at 143 billion euros according to European Commission. Shipment damage of food contributes to these figures.
Ecommerce shipment packaging for non-perishable food needs to be able to withstand the multiple touches and variability of courier journeys, it must also be able to hold a near infinite variety of mixed loads.
How can Smithers Pira help?
Smithers Pira has extensive expertise in shipment package testing and specialist knowledge of challenging shipment scenarios including ecommerce. We will work to understand your requirements and test your packaging to ensure you are neither over nor under packaging your goods. Our laboratory offers a perfectly controlled, simulated test environment for consistent, reliable results.
We offer Amazon Testing including
- ISTA 6-Amazon.com SIOC : Ecommerce package testing for products that Ship In Own Container (SIOC)
- ISTA 6-Amazon.com Over-Boxing
- Leak Testing: simulating supply chain conditions and inspecting potential weak areas for leakage
- Seal Testing: testing for product contamination inside the package
- Accelerated Ageing Testing: run following a transit test, this assesses whether food goods will spoil at any point in the delivery timeline
- Pack Integrity Testing: Package material testing to check the packaging has not been compromised.
- Bespoke testing to simulate specific conditions: If your packages will experience particular challenges we offer a range of additional tests (Drop testing, impact testing, testing with common items that could be shipped alongside it e.g. tins or heavy items)
- Ensure robustness of your packaging with reliable standard tests
- Reduce packaging wastage and fulfilment inefficiencies with excessive over-packaging
- Reduce food waste that hits sustainability targets and your bottom line
- Support brand reputation and customer satisfaction by ensuring your product is reliably delivered in good condition
Need assistance? Request a quote or contact one of our experts