Smithers Pira's knowledge extends from hands-on production line experience to understanding the related internal and external pressures outside of the production floor which impact line efficiencies. Client's benefit from Smithers Pira's understanding of packaging material performance & behaviour on high speed production lines to World's Best Practice identified by our global exposure.
Projects can involve:
- Material selection & auditing packaging converter capabilities
- Specification writing to workable tolerances
- Identifying & understanding non-direct influences to packaging line efficiency
- Best practice in material storage and inspection
- Machine and packaging variables
- Manufacturing tolerances of packaging
- Data collection & analysis
- On-line troubleshooting
Projects include developing a detailed technical understanding of the factors affecting performance through pre-lab analysis, which might include line trials, desk based research, interview with customers and suppliers, all leading to a thorough evaluation.
Where suitable test methods and laboratory or line equipment exists then standard methods and equipment/techniques can be used in the investigation. However, often standards do not provide sufficient flexibility for investigatory work, so Smithers Pira has developed expertise in test rig/equipment design and development, with the objective to generate specific data that goes well beyond that of conventional testing. In many cases it is only with this highly critical and technical based approach, coupled with practical experience of our consultants, that meaningful solutions can be identified.