Vibration and Shock Field Data Measurement
Smithers Pira is experienced in capturing and analyzing vibration, shock and climatic data using field data and remote recorders. Using this technology, we also support clients in developing their own data recording systems to their specific needs.
Field Data Recording and Analysis Expertise
Smithers Pira owns and operates numerous state of the art vibration and shock data recorders from the leading distribution data acquisition system suppliers. In addition, Smithers Pira has supported clients with development and use of their own data recording systems, from off-the shelf data recorders to more complex tailored real-time data capture systems involving remote accelerometer and multi-channel and vehicle position recording. Smithers Pira is also experienced in capturing and analysing climatic data using remote recorders.
Through our research and analysis development, we understand the importance of:
- Planning field data recording projects (where and when to record)
- Communication of project objectives to gain supply chain buy-in
- Setting up data recorders to gather appropriate and meaningful data
- Managing field data gathering in developed regions and developing regions such as Asia, Latin America, Africa
- Intelligent data analysis and interpretation using the latest techniques and research findings
Smithers Pira regularly presents on field data collection, data analysis and application at internationally recognized packaging, logistics and testing events around the world (including ISTA's Transport Packaging Forum in the US; ISTA's Field Data Workshops in the US and Europe; and the IAPRI packaging research events held annually). Our expertise in field data measurement has been used by leading brand owners in support of developing in-house transit tests and development of ground breaking tests for emerging markets.
Vibration Recording and Lab Simulation Research
Smithers Pira has initiated and is sponsoring a PhD program in the UK with Bath University to look at vibration measurement and laboratory simulation using real time data capture and reproduction, with the objective to deliver accelerated testing procedures for road shipment, but overcoming the shortcomings associated with random vibration testing.
Learn more about Advancements in Vibration Testing Research >
Project Examples - Field Data Recording
- Field vibration measurement during distribution of fragile integrated circuit (IC) test equipment - data was used to evaluate packaging performance and determine confidence level provided by existing laboratory test specification
- Shock, vibration and temperature measurement of fragile food products - data was used to benchmark existing package performance and determine feasibility of new packaging components and methods
- Development and execution of controlled shipment to benchmark protective performance of re-usable package for high value semiconductor manufacturing equipment
- Journey data recording project throughout Eastern Europe as part of development of tailored test methods for assessment of innovative personal care products
- Journey recording from Europe to the Far East in support of a damage reduction project for high value child healthcare products
- Thermal and climatic data recording for a moisture sensitive detergent product being shipped from Europe to Asia
- Vibration monitoring of new distribution chains in order to ensure successful market entry for consumer electronics product.
For more information, please contact us.