There are many sustainability initiatives around the world, at an organizational level, at industry level and driven by national government. While there is no one simple solution to delivering on sustainability, there is a real need to make progress and continue to reduce environmental impact and carbon footprint.
Smithers Pira is contributing towards this endeavor by supporting clients with damage reduction, light weighting, and validation projects in an effort to lower the impact of packaging solutions and materials.
In simple terms we believe that:
- Product damage = Excessive waste: Often times, when damage occurs in the supply chain, reproducing the damaged product has a bigger impact on sustainability than replacing the damaged packaging.
- Over protection = Excessive waste: Over packaging a product in an effort to ensure zero damage leads to inefficient and irresponsible packaging practices.
- ‘Just Right’ Packaging: Smithers Pira leverages industry standard and custom protocols to help our clients balance the risk of shipment damage against material usage.
Testing Strategies for Sustainability Efforts
Our testing services can accurately demonstrate where and when a packaged product might fail during shipping and handling.We leverage our expertise and package testing facilities to enable our clients to make informed decisions on optimizing their packaging to help meet their sustainability goals.
Smithers Pira undertakes specific projects examining opportunities for light weighting and specification reduction, using intelligent testing and tailored protocols to support critical decisions on material and pack grades, materials substitution and cubic efficiency during storage and transit.
Sample Projects include:
- Glass bottle pallet utilization improvement
- Stability evaluation for palletized extra-tall, heavy containers of cans
- Improved cube optimization / pallet height for alternative secondary pack format
- Cushion pack design improvement for electronics product manufacturer
Need assistance? Request a quote or contact one of our experts